Social Media Policy
The Peoria County Sheriff's Office (PCSO) established a Facebook Page and Twitter account in August 2012. The intent of these social media sites is to serve as a communications tool between the PCSO and the public. The PCSO and Peoria County communications personnel are the sole administrators of these social media sites.
As a communications tool, the Peoria County Sheriff's Office shall utilize its Facebook Page and Twitter account to raise awareness among Peoria County and neighboring residents and visitors, community partners, and interested fans and followers of public safety news and information that affects the Peoria County area.
Social media sites grant the PCSO an additional opportunity to share its public safety messages with the general public. The PCSO shall utilize its Facebook Page and Twitter account to post news releases, photos, videos, and important public safety information, including but not limited to Amber Alerts, information about wanted criminals, road closures, power outages, and other emergency announcements.
Complying with All Applicable Policies & Procedures
Whenever possible, the PCSO's social media sites shall comply with all applicable Peoria County Sheriff's Office and County of Peoria policies and procedures, including section III-13B Political Activity of the County of Peoria Personnel Policies.
Postings on Peoria County's social media sites are reference copies of public records of the County of Peoria. The original public records may be subject to disclosure under the State of Illinois' Freedom of Information Act. Comments and activity on our Facebook page are not public records and not subject to the FOIA.
The intended purpose of the PCSO's social media sites is to serve as a means of communication between the PCSO and members of the public. Therefore, information, posts, and comments containing any of the following forms of content shall not be allowed and will be removed from the site.
- Profane language or content
- Content that promotes, fosters, or perpetuates discrimination on the basis of race, religion, gender, marital status, familial status, national origin, age, mental or physical disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, source of income, or other protected status under applicable law
- Inappropriate sexual content or links to inappropriate sexual content
- Solicitations of commerce
- Conduct or encouragement of illegal activity
- Private and confidential information
- Information that may tend to compromise the safety and security of the public or public systems
- Content that violates a legal ownership interest of any other party
- Comments in support of or opposition to political campaigns or ballot measures
The Peoria County Sheriff's Office disclaims any and all responsibility and liability for any materials or content that the PCSO deems inappropriate for posting. The PCSO shall make efforts to remove said materials in an expeditious or otherwise timely manner, but disclaims liability if circumstances exist that prevent or hinder efforts to remove said materials.
The Peoria County Sheriff's Office does not endorse nor otherwise support or sponsor any advertising that may be posted by the Social Media host (Facebook, Twitter) on the PCSO's site. Facebook and Twitter are privately operated sites and the privacy terms of each respective site apply.
The PCSO does not guarantee the reliability or accuracy of any third-party links. The PCSO reserves the right to remove any comment or conversation that is prohibited by this Social Media Policy.